Polkadot's Inaugural Vote Could Expand DOT Supply by 1,000x
The first vote on Polkadot will be to see whether the DOT supply should be redenominated by a "logical" 100x or even by 1,000x.
Polkadot fans can cast their first votes on a redenomination proposal that could increase the supply of DOT tokens up to a thousand-fold.
- In a blog post on Monday, Gavin Wood, co-founder and president of Polkadot developer Web3 Foundation, said community stakeholders could vote on a proposal to redenominate the smallest unit of DOT – a Planck.
- If successful, it will lead to a corresponding increase in the DOT supply.
- Open to all DOT holders, there are four options on the table: no change or increasing supply by 10x, 100x, or 1,000x.
- If any of the redenomination proposals passes, the DOT price, according to CoinGecko, could well move from its present $152 to $15, $1.52, or $0.15, respectively.
- Polkadot only went live in late May so this will be the protocol's first community vote.
- A supply of 10 million was originally agreed for the 2017 initial coin offering but Web3 Foundation said in a tweet thread Monday that a token supply of 1 billion would now be more "logical."
- The polls have now opened and community members have two weeks to cast their vote.
- A similar proposal already passed on Kusama, Polkadot's test-tube blockchain, more than two months ago.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.