Crypto-Enabled VPN Provider Orchid Launches on Apple’s App Store
Orchid announced Thursday its newly launched app would allow users to buy VPN bandwidth using in-app purchases powered by cryptocurrency.
Decentralized virtual private network (VPN) provider Orchid announced the launch of its VPN application on the Apple app store on Thursday.
- In an emailed press release, Orchid said users of its app would be able to make in-app purchases to get VPN bandwidth. The in-app purchases would essentially work like gift cards for the OXT token, Orchid’s cryptocurrency used for transactions on its network.
- Launched in December 2019, Orchid uses the Ethereum blockchain to enable users to buy and sell VPN bandwidth using its OXT token.
- In its statement, Orchid said using in-app purchases was also a way to do away with the complicated steps associated with crypto transactions, which can often frustrate users.
- “Orchid works by aggregating bandwidth from VPNs and other providers around the world,” said Steven Waterhouse, CEO of Orchid, explaining how using multiple VPN providers allows for an additional layer of privacy for users.
- According to the app’s listing on the Apple store, it is currently available for use on iPhones, iPads and the iPod.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.