A 31% drop in month-over-month trading volume in June drove bitcoin’s annualized volatility to a six-month low, according to a recent report by the cryptocurrency exchange Kraken.
- According to the report, June was the most uneventful month for bitcoin (BTC) trading since February as a lack of market activity brought down trading volume to a four-month low of $36.6 billion.
- In light of the subdued market and low volatility, bitcoin saw a price drop of 4.4%, the lowest monthly change since August last year.
- The report also found that in a reversal of trends from earlier this year, bitcoin’s 30-day correlation with the S&P 500 turned “substantially more positive” and climbed to 0.65 in late-June.
- In the same month, bitcoin’s 30-day correlation with gold slipped below the 1-year average and hit a low of -0.49.
- According to the report, bitcoin’s reversal in correlations with gold and S&P 500 made it behave less like a safe-haven asset and more like a traditional financial asset amid a global stock market recovery during June.
- The report says market participants for bitcoin should now pay closer attention to the 30-day forward looking volatility index for the S&P 500 (VIX), and that if BTC is going to break the multi-year macro down-trend, it would need to climb above $10,500 and trigger an upward trend.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.