After a week of viral videos on TikTok, dogecoin is up 35% in price and 2,000% in volume. What gives?
What’s old is new again!
What happens when you combine a mostly hibernating memecoin with the world’s most powerful (and controversial) meme platform, and throw in a new generation of daytraders that have become convinced that they can drive the price of anything up?
The great TikTok Doge pump of 2020, of course.
In this episode, NLW breaks down:
- The history of dogecoin
- How TikTok became one of the most popular, influential and controversial apps in the world
- Why the r/WallStreetBets, Davey Day Trader Global Global and Robinhood Rally day trader movement perfectly set up this pump
- How #TikTokDogecoinChallenge began to trend
- What has happened to dogecoin since the trend started
- Why this all makes a weird sort of cynical sense
TikTok as a launchpad for viral music:
Modern day trading on Fox Business:
Pro-Doge perspectives on TikTok:
Anti-Doge perspectives on TikTok:
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.