Switzerland's InCore Bank AG has become the first financial institution in the country to offer banking services to Kraken clients.
- Announced Thursday, the move means clients located in the European Union will be able to fund their accounts using Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) deposits – the payment integration project the EU designed to simplify euro bank transfers.
- The companies said the move comes at a time when institutions and traders are seeking alternative sources of capital value during an "uncertain macroeconomic climate."
- Rudy Suter, a strategy consultant for digital assets at InCore Bank, said the bank's new strategy is based on three pillars: cryptocurrencies, tokenization and blockchain applications.
- "As digital assets, cryptocurrencies are a valuable addition to modern asset management and will be indispensable as a payment and investment value in the future," said Mark Dambacher, InCore's CEO, in a statement.
- The companies plan to enable deposits in British pounds (GBP), Swiss francs (CHF) and Canadian dollars (CAD) in Q3 2020.
- InCore Bank AG is the 209th-largest bank in Switzerland in terms of total assets under management.
- Kraken is rated the 10th-largest crypto exchange in the world by trade volume, according to data analytics website Nomics.
- Last month Kraken extended its services to Australia, enabling local clients to fund their accounts in Australian dollars (AUD).
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.