Pantera Capital CEO Dan Morehead and 10T Holdings cofounder Dan Tapiero traded conflicting views of the economic recovery at the Real Vision virtual crypto summit Tuesday.
- The crypto space investment chiefs, both “die-hard macro guys,” disagreed on where COVID-19 is leading the economy, with Morehead projecting a “lingering” recession and Tapiero saying he hasn’t been this bullish since 2012.
- They both agreed, however, that this environment will be good for bitcoin.
- Central bankers’ unrelenting money printing may well boost fixed quantity assets, said Morehead. “It just seems inevitable that the global macro tsunami of paper money is gonna float a lot of boats,” he said.
- Both said Paul Tudor Jones’ recent bitcoin advocacy signaled a strong investment opportunity to the markets. Even so, Tapiero said the legendary macro trader still has a ways to go before he grasps bitcoin’s systemic value.
- “We've just got to wait until more people adopt [bitcoin] and the network effect increases, and we’re at a good spot to take advantage,” said Tapiero.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.