From technology to aging demographics, some of the most important trends shaping the economy have been deflationary. What happens when that rapidly changes?
Today on the Brief:
- FTX lists two Compound tokens
- Reddit partners with Ethereum Foundation on Layer 2 scaling
- Black-In Freedom Festival reimagines Juneteenth
Our main topic:
Dr. Vikram Mansharamani is a lecturer at Harvard and author of “Boombustology: Spotting Financial Bubbles Before They Burst” as well as the just released “Think for Yourself: Restoring Common Sense in an Age of Experts and Artificial Intelligence.”
In this wide-ranging conversation, he and NLW discuss:
- Why our relationship with experts and expertise is leading us astray
- How COVID-19 shows the downside of both over-reliance on, and complete rejection of, experts
- How the economic crisis surrounding COVID-19 is bursting bubbles and moving us from a period defined by deflation to one defined by inflation
- Why “monetary debasement is here to stay”
- Why the U.S.-China relationship is the key backdrop for understanding the next 10 years of global economic reality
- Why inequality threatens the fabric of our economy and our society, and what might be done about it
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.