As protests mount in the U.S., we sit down with an outspoken pro-bitcoin, anti-surveillance, human rights advocate.
Alex Gladstein is the chief strategy officer of the Human Rights Foundation. He is a powerful voice for the role of bitcoin in combating authoritarianism around the globe.
In today's episode, Gladstein and NLW discuss:
- What the protests tell us about the state of democracy in the U.S.
- The potential impact of protests and COVID-19 on surveillance norms
- The potential for a "biological Patriot Act"
- The implications of China's push to absorb Hong Kong
- The relevance or irrelevance of China's digital currency
- The role of bitcoin in promoting freedom
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.