With companies closing, unemployment rising and investors spooked in the age of the pandemic, NLW speaks with Swan BTC co-founder Yan Pritzker about the experience of launching a startup in the hyper-competitive world of Bitcoin.
Yan Pritzker is the CTO and cofounder of Swan Bitcoin, an automated bitcoin-only investing app aiming to be the best on-ramp to bitcoin. He is also the author of "Inventing Bitcoin."
On this episode, he and NLW discuss:
- How emigrating from the Soviet Union taught Yan about capital controls
- Buying bitcoin at $30 in 2011
- Why the type of capital available shapes what type of startups entrepreneurs found
- Why venture capitals focused investments away from bitcoin
- The emergence of a bitcoin-only startup scene
- Starting a startup during the COVID-19 crisis
- Why bitcoin’s scarcity is its most important property
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.