Castle Island Ventures and Coin Metrics co-founder Nic Carter joins @NLW to discuss cascading crises, crypto dollarization and the state of the bitcoin narrative.
In this wide-ranging discussion, Castle Island Ventures founding partner and Coin Metrics co-founder Nic Carter joins @NLW to discuss:
- Why corporations weren’t adequately prepared for any serious economic trouble, much less a global pandemic
- Why government backstopping the corporations leads to inappropriate risk taking
- How stock buybacks became a boogeyman of the current crisis
- Why the crisis is actually four crises in one: health, economic, financial and geopolitical
- How COVID-19 could accelerate the U.S.’ withdrawal from the world and China stepping into the void
- Why the response to the handling of COVID-19 could lead some to authoritarianism
- How stablecoins are allowing global market exposure to the world’s most in-demand currency: the USD
- Why stablecoins and central bank digital currencies look the same but are functionally opposite
- Why a "naive safe haven" narrative was never correct for bitcoin
- Why bitcoin was designed for exactly this type of moment
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.