Craig Wright Won't Provide More Proof He Created Bitcoin

In a stunning reversal, Craig Wright says he will not provide any more proof that he is the creator of bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto.

AccessTimeIconMay 5, 2016 at 1:22 p.m. UTC
Updated Sep 11, 2021 at 12:15 p.m. UTC
10 Years of Decentralizing the Future
May 29-31, 2024 - Austin, TexasThe biggest and most established global event for everything crypto, blockchain and Web3.Register Now

In a stunning reversal, Craig Wright – the Australian academic who on Monday sparked a media frenzy with his efforts to prove that he is the pseudonymous creator of bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto – now says he will not provide any more proof as previously indicated.

Two days ago, Wright said that he planned to prove his identity by demonstrating control of bitcoins mined early in the digital currency’s lifecycle – a move that would have specifically meant moving BTC in and out of an early address ostensibly under his control, according to a representative.

The controversy began on Monday when the BBC, The Economist and GQ published interviews with Wright, who sought to back his claim to the Satoshi identity. Once the news first emerged, critics quickly cried foul, with some alleging that Wright was perpetrating fraud following further analysis of the evidence made public thus far.

Now, Wright has said that he will provide no further evidence, indicating that his decision was driven by "new allegations" against him.

In the new blog post, Wright wrote:

"I believed that I could do this. I believed that I could put the years of anonymity and hiding behind me. But, as the events of this week unfolded and I prepared to publish the proof of access to the earliest keys, I broke. I do not have the courage. I cannot."

He went on to write that he fears the move will cause "damage" to those who helped him engage with the press, naming Bitcoin Foundation founding director Jon Matonis and former Bitcoin Core maintainer Gavin Andresen specifically, each of whom penned blog posts in support of Wright.

"I can only hope that their honour and credibility is not irreparably tainted by my actions. They were not deceived, but I know that the world will never believe that now," Wright went on to say. "I can only say I’m sorry. And goodbye."

The two other blog posts – including a more recent one that pointed to the plan to move early bitcoins – have been removed. A representative declined to offer further comment when reached.

Image via the BBC

Disclosure

Please note that our privacy policy, terms of use, cookies, and do not sell my personal information has been updated.

CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk employees, including journalists, may receive options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.


Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk's longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.