MetaMask is a popular crypto wallet that can get you connected to different blockchains and decentralized platforms such as Avalanche. Using MetaMask to gain entry to Avalanche’s ecosystem provides you with quick transactions and lower fees through its decentralized applications (dapps) and its decentralized finance (DeFi) platform.
Read more: How to Set Up a MetaMask Wallet
Steps to connect MetaMask to Avalanche
1. Open and log in to your MetaMask wallet.
2. From the account options, which is a circle icon, go to “Settings.”
3. Once you are in settings, select “Networks.”
4. Press the “Add Network” button.
5. You will be taken to a new screen. This is the most important step as this is where you will add the information to connect to the Avalanche network.
Input the following new information and press save:
Network Name: Avalanche Network
New RPC URL: https://api.avax.network/ext/bc/C/rpc
6. Upon adding, you will be brought back to the wallet screen. There are two signs the Avalanche network was added to your MetaMask wallet. The two red boxes shown in the screenshot below confirm it. The first box above shows the AVAX token standard, and the bottom right shows “Avalanche Network was successfully added.”
7. To deposit AVAX into your wallet, you need to obtain your wallet address by clicking on it. You can then send AVAX to your wallet.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.