Crypto Exchange Gate.io to Help Busan, South Korea, Build Blockchain Infrastructure
The firm joins Binance, Huobi and FTX in inking paperwork with the city as it develops its nascent crypto market.
Crypto exchange Gate.io signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on Wednesday with the South Korean city of Busan to help develop blockchain infrastructure in the city.
- Under the agreement, Gate.io will assist Busan in developing its budding crypto industry. Terms weren't disclosed.
- That assistance will include promoting the city's initiative to develop local blockchain activity and helping Busan develop, operate and distribute a local stablecoin.
- Busan was approved as a "regulation-free blockchain zone" by the South Korean government in 2019. As a result, the city started a push to become a blockchain hub.
- Gate.io also plans to expand its South Korean operations beyond Busan to stimulate the blockchain industry's growth and enhance its services nationwide, representatives told CoinDesk in a emailed statement.
- Busan also signed an MoU with Crypto.com. The cryptocurrency exchange said it plans to establish a workforce presence in the city.
UPDATE (Oct. 27, 09:47 UTC): Adds Crypto.com in last bullet point.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.