Bitcoin Miner Genesis Digital Locks In 708 MW of Energy for Mining
The power capacity of the mining company is spread across sites in west Texas, as well as North and South Carolina.
Bitcoin miner, Genesis Digital Assets, secured 708 megawatts (MW) of power capacity for mining in the first six months of the year.
- The miner said in a Wednesday press release the power capacity is spread across sites in west Texas, as well as North and South Carolina.
- Privately held Genesis Digital Assets is separate entity from Genesis Trading, the crypto lending firm owned by CoinDesk's parent company, Digital Currency Group.
- The New York-based company didn't specify at what stages of development the different sites are or when they will be ready to start operating. It had not responded to CoinDesk's request for comment by the time of publication.
- Bitcoin mining sites can take months to complete.
- Genesis raised $431 million to expand operations in North America and the Nordic countries in a funding round led by Paradigm Ventures last September, just two months after it raised $125 million in a round led by Kingsway Capital.
- Prior to the new sites, the miner had contracted for 100MW in Sweden, 300MW in Texas and an undisclosed amount in South Carolina, according to its website.
UPDATE (Aug. 24, 2022, 15:30 UTC): Updates headline, first sentence and second bullet to clarify distinction between Genesis Digital and Genesis Trading.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.