Nuvei Tempers Yearly Expectations Due to Crypto Volatility
The firm estimated that higher volatility and lower volume than anticipated negatively impacted its revenue by around $4 million.
Payments technology firm Nuvei (NVEI) has tempered its outlook for the remainder of 2022 after its second-quarter revenue fell short of expectations, partly due to volatility in cryptocurrencies.
- The Canada-based firm reported revenue of $211.3 million for the quarter-ended June 30 an increase of 19% compared to the corresponding period a year ago.
- However, the figure fell below its outlook range of $217 million to $223 million. The firm attributes this to a number of factors including crypto volatility.
- The firm estimated that higher volatility and lower volume than anticipated negatively impacted its revenue by around $4 million.
- “We are amending our outlook for the remainder of the year due to unforeseen changes in currency, volatility in digital assets and cryptocurrencies, and caution with regard to global economic conditions," CEO Philip Fayer said.
- Nuvei partnered with Visa (V) in December to introduce crypto-friendly debit cards across Europe. This was followed closely by a partnership with crypto exchange FTX to offer instant payments to users buying crypto.
- Nuvei's Nasdaq-listed shares were down slightly at $41.90 during pre-market trading.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.