Cryptocurrency exchange Nuri GmbH has filed for insolvency in Berlin, according to a court filing.
- The platform, previously called Bitwala, was founded in 2015.
- Nuri said the sell-off in the crypto market coupled with the collapse of Celsius Network ultimately led to the decision.
- The price of bitcoin (BTC) has fallen from $69,000 to as low as $17,000 over the past nine months, with several key companies in the industry struggling to keep afloat. Bitcoin was recently trading around $23,000.
- Singapore-based hedge fund Three Arrows Capital filed for bankruptcy in July while Celsius and Voyager Digital experienced similar outcomes.
- Nuri has said its users can still access deposits, Reuters reported.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.