Cryptocurrency lending platform Hodlnaut has frozen withdrawals, deposits and token swaps because of "difficult market conditions," the firm said on Monday.
- The Singapore-based firm, which was founded in 2019, said it wants to stabilize liquidity and preserve assets while it works on a long-term solution.
- Hodlnaut also withdrew its application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for a license in the city-state, even though it received in-principle approval from the central bank in March.
- One of the key components of the market downturn was the collapse of crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital, which had billions of dollars of exposure to numerous companies in the crypto universe.
- Hodlnaut announced in June that it had "no exposure or loans" with Three Arrows Capital or Celsius.
- The company is consulting with Singapore-based law firm Damodara Ong on a timeline for a plan to preserve user assets.
- Hodlnaut will issue an update on Aug. 19.
- In March of last year, Hodlnaut formed a partnership with Nexus Mutual, an insurance company that specializes in decentralized finance.
- The firm's LinkedIn page states that it has more than $500 million in assets under management.
UPDATE (Aug. 8, 11:15 UTC): Adds AUM figure, partnership with Nexus Mutual.
UPDATE (Aug. 8, 13:45 UTC): Adds in-principle approval granted in March, June statement on Three Arrows, Celsius.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.