Bitcoin Miner SAI.TECH Halts Kazakhstan Expansion, Citing Operation and Cost Uncertainties
The Nasdaq-listed company has scrapped plans for a second phase of power-supply cooperation in the central Asian country.
Singapore-based bitcoin miner SAI.TECH (SAI) has terminated the remainder of its plans to expand into Kazakhstan, according to an SEC filing.
- The scrapped plans involved a second phase of 90MW power supply cooperation in Kazakhstan, which was a part of a 2021 agreement with Better Tech Limited.
- In May, SAI.TECH noted concern from power partners and hosting customers regarding operation stability and cost uncertainties in relation to doing business in Kazakhstan. Operations had already been delayed due to the national riots in Kazakhstan that started in January 2022.
- A slew of companies moved mining operations to Kazakhstan following China's decision to ban crypto mining last year, which prompted the landlocked nation in central Asia to clamp down on illegal crypto mines and increase taxes on the industry.
- The Kazakh government also ordered all crypto miners to register with authorities as the country faced electricity shortages.
- While SAI.TECH's second phase of 90MW power supply has been halted, it will continue to execute the first phase, which began in August 2021 and has 15MW of capacity.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.