OKX Secures License in Dubai and Plans to Open Regional Hub
The exchange has followed in the footsteps of FTX and Kraken in securing a license in the UAE.
Cryptocurrency exchange OKX has been awarded a provisional virtual assets (VA) license in Dubai, the company said Thursday.
- According to its press release, the license was issued by the Dubai Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority (VARA) and will allow OKX to provide trading services to investors in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- The Seychelles-based company also announced plans to open a regional hub in Dubai to expand the reach of cryptocurrencies in the region.
- “The [Middle East North Africa] region is one of the fastest growing markets for our industry, and we are very excited to be at the heart of this thriving ecosystem," said OKX General Manager Lennix Lai. Lai said the company will continue "innovating for the future in a regulated framework.”
- In February, UAE's Securities and Commodities Authority (SCA) announced it was allowing Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASP) to establish entities in the country as it looked to become a global crypto hub.
- FTX became the first exchange to secure a license in March. Kraken was awarded a license in April.
- OKX is one of the largest crypto exchanges by trade volume. It has more than 20 million global customers.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.