Digital asset management platform Gnosis Safe has raised $100 million from investors including 1kx, Coinbase Ventures, Tiger Global, Lightspeed and Digital Currency Group (CoinDesk's parent company).
- Gnosis Safe rebranded itself as Safe following a community vote to split off from Ethereum infrastructure builder Gnosis.
- Safe's aim is to provide custody for Web3 applications through its platform, which offers management of digital assets, data and identity for retail and institutional investors.
- It employs smart contracts to provide recovery mechanisms and authentications using multiple private keys. This is meant to address the risk of complete loss of assets should a private key be lost, which may be inhibiting Web3 adoption.
- The company has secured digital assets worth $40 billion, having built the infrastructure for the treasuries of decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) 1inch, crypto exchange Bitfinex and e-commerce platform Shopify.
- The funds raised are for the Safe Ecosystem Foundation, the organization that will oversee the ecosystem of applications and wallets using Safe's smart-contract accounts, providing grants and investments as well as tools and infrastructure.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.