In Latin America, 51% of consumers have made at least one transaction with cryptocurrencies, according to a survey conducted by Mastercard (MA).
- The study entitled "New Payments Index 2022," also showed that more than a third of Latin Americans said they have made an everyday purchase with a stablecoin. By comparison Mastercard said just 11% of those responding worldwide, reported having made a purchase using a digital asset.
- In addition, 54% of Latin Americans said they were optimistic about the performance of digital assets as an investment vehicle, according to the study, which was based on a survey of 35,000 people around the world conducted between March and April.
- “More and more Latin Americans are showing interest in cryptocurrencies and want solutions that facilitate access to the crypto world,” Walter Pimenta, executive vice president of products and engineering at Mastercard Latin America and the Caribbean, said in a statement.
- Nearly 70% of consumers in Latin America and the Caribbean said they would feel more comfortable investing and transacting in crypto if there was a trusted organization in the middle.
- “The future of payments is already here. Increasingly Latin Americans are turning to technology to conduct their financial transactions and this trend is expected to continue to rise, with an overwhelming 95% planning to use a digital payment method in the coming year and 29% acknowledging having used less cash in the past year,” Pimenta said.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.