NHL Partners With Sweet to Offer Digital Collectibles, NFTs
The league is the latest in a string of sports associations embracing NFTs.
The National Hockey League has signed a multiyear partnership agreement with non-fungible token (NFT) platform Sweet to start a digital collectibles marketplace.
- NHL will release NFTs featuring never-before-issued video moments during the league’s 2022-2023 season. Sweet will become NHL’s official digital collectible marketplace, allowing fans to trade and collect NFTs.
- The digital collectibles will include the latest video moments as well as archival moments. The collectibles will feature past and current NHL players including Wayne Gretzky, Tie Domi, Sidney Crosby, and Mario Lemieux, among others.
- The partnership is the first to bring together NHL, National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) and NHL Alumni Association (NHLAA) to offer videos and other collectibles.
- The marketplace will have gamified elements and will also allow fans to interact with each other.
- “Building NFTs and digital collectibles that are really cool, have great design and are scarce and have collectible value is absolutely important, but we’re also thinking about what’s the utility beyond that and about how [digital collectibles] plug into the broader fan experience and what that means for the NHL,” NHL's senior vice president of global partnerships, David Lehanski, told CoinDesk.
Read More: The NBA’s Web 3 Innovation Dilemma
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.