Crypto Exchange Bitget Plans to Double Workforce as Peers Cut Back in Bear Market
In contrast with exchanges Coinbase and Gemini, the derivatives platform plans to increase its staff.
Bitget, a Singapore-based crypto derivatives exchange, plans to double its workforce over the next six months, just as other crypto firms are cutting back.
- The exchange plans to reach 1,000 employees by the end of the year, it said in a press release on Thursday. It had 150 employees at the start of 2021 and had grown threefold by mid-2022, according to the press release.
- Such exchanges as Coinbase, Gemini and Crypto.com, in the meantime, are reducing staff amid a market rout that's seen the price of bitcoin, the largest cryptocurrency by market cap, slump more than 50% since the start of the year.
- Bitget has experienced "tremendous growth" and is "generating strong and recurring cash flow despite uncertain market conditions," the company said. Trading volume at the derivatives exchange grew tenfold in the past 12 months, reaching an all-time high of $8.69 billion in March, said Managing Director Gracy Chen.
- Bitget ranks No. 5 in Coingecko's list of derivatives exchanges, with a trading volume of $7.4 billion in the past 24 hours as of threefold
- In March, Bitget announced it had registered with U.S. authorities, signaling that it plans to expand from Asia to North America.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.