USDC stablecoin issuer Circle is adding support for Polygon USDC on its payments and treasury platform, the company said Tuesday in a statement.
- The move will help developers building on Circle automate flows from fiat into Polygon USDC, along with being able to swap it for native USDC across various blockchain networks.
- Polygon USDC is a bridged version of USDC, as opposed to a native implementation such as is issued on blockchains including Algorand, Avalanche, Ethereum, Flow, Hedera, Solana, Stellar and Tron.
- Adding Polygon USDC marks the first time a bridged version of the stablecoin has been supported on the platform.
- "Polygon is an attractive entry point for businesses and developers to build in an established and liquid ecosystem with faster settlement times and reduced costs," Circle CEO Jeremy Allaire said. "Supporting Polygon USDC in the Circle Account and Circle APIs is another step toward making USDC interoperable across more leading blockchains, helping foster greater adoption for dollar digital currency on the internet."
- Circle's USDC stablecoin has over $54 billion in circulation, according to the statement.
- In May, Circle argued that the U.S. Federal Reserve should pass on launching a digital dollar, arguing that could strangle private-sector efforts such as Circle's to manage their own dollar-based tokens.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.