BNP Paribas Joins JPM's Blockchain Network Onyx for Fixed Income Trading: Report
The French bank will use the Onyx network for short-term fixed income trading.
French banking giant BNP Paribas (EPA) has joined JPMorgan's (JPM) blockchain-based network for fixed income market trading, according to a report by the Financial Times.
- The Onyx Digital Assets network uses tokens for short-term trading in fixed income markets, enabling investors to lend out assets for as little as a few hours without them actually leaving their balance sheets.
- Three quarters of deals on the repurchase - or "repo" - market are backed by government bonds, meaning it is one of the most important sources of collateral for banks to fund their balance sheets.
- Goldman Sachs (GS) has also previously tapped JPMorgan's network for repo trading.
- Some $300 billion of intraday repo deals have been conducted on the Onyx network since its launch in 2020.
- JPMorgan and BNP Paribas were not available for comment at press time.
- "We see this as part of our efforts to utilise the technology for the whole trading and operations lifecycle as the market evolves,” Joe Bonnaud, global markets chief operating officer for BNP Paribas said, in the report published on Monday.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.