Soluna Holdings (SLNH), a data-center developer that uses renewable energy for computing, arranged $35 million in project financing from private equity firm Spring Lane Capital for building more facilities.
- “Soluna is the only true green bitcoin company we’ve yet seen,” said Rob Day, a Spring Lane partner and co-founder. “Going after wasted renewable energy – ‘spilled power’ – is a compelling solution – and fixes both bitcoin’s climate problem and wind power’s grid problem.”
- The first of the three projects, Dorothy, will be a 100 megawatt (MW) capacity data center connected to a Texas wind farm that produces more electricity than the grid can consume.
- Energy from renewable sources, such as wind, sometimes overloads the power grid when the energy produced exceeds demand. Data centers like Soluna’s help manage the supply by running computing-intensive processes like crypto mining.
- Dorothy will have 50MW of initial capacity and is expected to be activated in coming months.
- The other two projects will “come from Soluna’s robust pipeline,” the statement said.
- Soluna said the new capital brings total funding for data centers co-located with renewable energy assets to $100 million.
Read more: Can Crypto Miners Make the World Greener?
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.