- According to Bukele, the average price El Salvador paid for each bitcoin was $30,744. The price of bitcoin has dropped almost 10% to $31,053 over the last 24 hours.
- The bitcoin purchase made on Monday appears to be the tenth and the largest made by El Salvador so far.
- On Jan. 21, El Salvador made its last bitcoin purchase, acquiring 410 bitcoins at an average price of $36,585 per coin.
- El Salvador now appears to hold around 2,301 bitcoins, currently worth just under $71 million.
- El Salvador postponed its planned $1 billion bitcoin bond offering in March because of unfavorable market conditions, according to Finance Minister Alejandro Zelaya.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.