The Filecoin Foundation for the Decentralized Web (FFWD) is teaming up with nonprofit news platform MuckRock to bridge the gap between newsrooms and those interested in public documents.
- FFWD and MuckRock are aiming to integrate decentralized storage technology for DocumentCloud – a platform currently hosting over 8 million verified documents – according to a blog post. “It will allow DocumentCloud to become a bridge for newsrooms, non-profits, researchers, and more to move key public interest documents to Filecoin,” the post continues.
- Beginning today, all verified users on MuckRock may publish vetted documents to DocumentCloud’s existing hosting service and FileCoin/IPFS (InterPlanetary File System) simultaneously.
- With this project, MuckRock hopes to expand its reach past traditional newsrooms to assist archives, researchers, civic technology organizations and other verified contributors to easily access primary source materials.
- “Decentralized technologies like Filecoin are a promising avenue to answer some of these challenges, and collaborating with FFDW is a tremendous opportunity to bring decentralized technology to our network,” said MuckRock co-founder and CEO Michael Morisy. “Decentralized storage will enable more long-term and secure storage for important documents – underscoring our commitment to accountability and transparency while also helping think through important norms and best practices going forward.”
- Filecoin's native token FIL is up 9% on Wednesday alongside a big rally in crypto markets.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.