Banco Galicia, the largest Argentinian private bank by market value, has added the option to buy and sell cryptocurrencies on its platform, the company confirmed Monday.
- Banco Galicia's service is operated in partnership with Lirium, a Liechtenstein-based crypto product for digital wallets and mobile banking apps, CoinDesk confirmed.
- When a user asked the bank on Twitter if the service was available, Banco Galicia said yes and added that it was adding new investment options.
- Banco Galicia is offering its users the ability to buy and sell crypto, but does not allow them to withdraw or send crypto, Lirium COO Martin Kopacz told CoinDesk, adding that the bank also offers a custody feature. Banco Galicia plans to roll out the service to all of its customers by mid-May, Kopacz noted.
- To offer the crypto trading and custody service, Lirium worked with OSL, a Hong Kong-based digital asset trading platform that began operating in Latin America last October.
- Lirium is also working with four Argentinian financial institutions that plan to launch a crypto trading service, Kopacz said, without disclosing dates. In addition, Lirium is working on similar integrations in Brazil and Mexico, according to Kopacz.
- Banco Galicia belongs to Grupo Financiero Galicia, which is listed on the Buenos Aires stock exchange and on Nasdaq under the ticker GGAL.
UPDATE (May 2, 19:59 UTC): Added comments and information from Lirium COO Martin Kopacz.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.