Crypto payments infrastructure firm MoonPay received $87 million from an array of celebrities as part of its $555 million Series A round.
- More than 60 figures from the worlds of sport, music and entertainment have invested in the firm, MoonPay announced on Wednesday.
- The Miami-headquartered startup received a $3.4 billion valuation after closing its Series A funding round last November. The investment was led by Coatue and Tiger Global Management.
- The celebrities now known to have joined the round included Ashton Kutcher, Justin Bieber, Gwyneth Paltrow, Maria Sharapova, Gal Gadot, Diplo, The Weeknd, Drake, Matthew McConaughey, Snoop Dogg, Bruce Willis and Paris Hilton.
- MoonPay has previously acted as a kind of "concierge/" for NFT purchases on behalf of several of its celebrity investors, including Snoop Dogg, Hilton, Paltrow and Diplo.
- The firm provides payment infrastructure to let people exchange fiat currencies and crypto using all traditional payment methods, such as debit and credit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.