Riot Blockchain Files to Sell Up to $500M of Stock
Proceeds from the "at-the-market" offering would be used for general corporate purposes, which may include investments in existing and future projects.
Bitcoin miner Riot Blockchain (RIOT) filed a prospectus with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the sale of up to $500 million in shares from time to time, otherwise known as an “at-the-market” (ATM) offering.
- The underwriters are Cantor Fitzgerald, B. Riley Securities, BTIG, Roth Capital Partners, D.A. Davidson, Macquarie Capital (USA) and Northland Securities.
- The company currently has about 116.7 shares outstanding, according to the filing, and if the entire $500 million was offered at the current stock price, the share count would increase by about 20% to almost 140 million.
- That being said, the prospectus is a “shelf” registration, meaning there is no present intention to immediately sell all the securities being registered.
- Riot mainly hodls, or holds, the bitcoins it mines, meaning the company issues equity for occasional capital raises to fund its operations and expansion.
- In a recent presentation, Riot said it held 5,783 bitcoins on its balance sheet as of March 1. That would be worth more than $267 million at the current bitcoin price of $46,200.
- Riot is underperforming most of its crypto mining peers on Friday afternoon, down 2% as the stocks of Marathon Digital (MARA) and Hut 8 (HUT) are posting moderate gains.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.