Grab’s Technology Head Departs to Lead Metaverse Gaming Firm Ethlas: Report
Many high-level executives of traditional technology firms have left their jobs to dive into the metaverse, with Grab’s head of technology, Wui Ngiap Foo, being the latest.
- Foo will depart from Grab on March 31, and will join Ethlas as CEO and co-founder, the report said.
- He had worked at the Singapore-based company for six years and seven months, according to his LinkedIn profile.
- During his tenure, Foo helped Grab combine its business with Uber’s Southeast Asia division in 2018 and later led the collaboration with Microsoft (MSFT). He was also Grab’s head of integrity and oversaw the company's identity, trust and safety functions.
- Ethlas was founded in 2021 and is a blockchain-based gaming platform that allows players to accrue crypto tokens.
- The metaverse has risen in popularity and has been called a trillion-dollar opportunity by crypto investment giant Grayscale, which is a subsidiary of CoinDesk’s owner Digital Currency Group. Recently, 70 fashion brands held a fashion week in the metaverse and even big banks, such as JPMorgan (JPM) and HSBC (HSBC) have also joined the metaverse.
- Foo, Ethlas, and Grab were not immediately available for comment when contacted by CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.