Taiwan-based gaming firm Red Door Digital (RDD) has closed a $5 million seed round to build high quality games for the emerging Web 3 ecosystem.
- The firm received the seed funding from M6, Shima Capital, Maven Capital, Cryptology Asset Group, and LucidBlue Ventures.
- In a previous interview with CoinDesk, See Wan Toong, the CTO of RDD, said that gaming is suffering from a creative drought and GameFi can fix this. Toong thinks that Web 3 gaming is close to its ‘Flappy Bird’ moment, where the game going viral comes before quality.
- RDD said it will use the funds to build out the studio’s proprietary game theory models, which its says “drive the scalability and sustainability of the in-game economy”.
- The studio says it eventually wants to license its infrastructure to other developers to act as an onramp for Web 3.
- “Web 3 and the metaverse might be buzzwords right now, but more immersive online interactions is the undeniable trajectory for gaming, and we want to make games that bring mainstream gamers onboard,” its CEO, Joseph Derflinger told CoinDesk.
- Red Door Digital currently has three titles under development, with the first, Reign of Terror, set for release in the summer of 2022.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.