Worldcoin to Raise $100M at $3B Token Valuation: Report
The list of investors reportedly includes a16z and Khosla Ventures.
Crypto startup Worldcoin is raising $100 million with investors valuing the company's total stockpile of tokens at $3 billion, The Information reported on Tuesday, citing two unnamed sources.
- Investors include Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), which previously invested in Berlin-based Worldcoin, and Khosla Ventures.
- The investment will come through the sale of Worldcoin tokens, the Information reported.
- It is the second major capital raise in roughly six months for Worldcoin, which raised $25 million at a $1 billion valuation in October. a16z, Coinbase Ventures, Digital Currency Group (the parent company of CoinDesk) were among the investors for that round, which also included angel investors Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of FTX, and Reid Hoffman, the co-founder of LinkedIn.
- Worldcoin, which was co-founded by Y Combinator President Sam Altman, uses chrome, volleyball-sized spheres to scan retinas in exchange for crypto.
- The amount each person receives depends on how early in the project’s roll-out they get involved, with the amount diminishing as more people are onboarded.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.