Eqonex (EQOS), the parent company of crypto custodian Digivault, has appointed Jonathan Farnell as its new CEO. Farnell is the former head of cryptocurrency exchange Binance's U.K. operations.
- Digivault last year became the first crypto custody firm to win regulatory approval from the U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- Last week, Binance launched fiat-to-crypto payments provider Bifinity, through which it will provide a convertible loan to Eqonex. A convertible loan is one that under certain conditions can be converted into an equity stake.
- As part of the terms of the arrangement, Binance was given the right to appoint the CEO, chief financial officer and chief legal officer of Eqonex from within Bifinity.
- Last year, Eqonex CEO Richard Byworth stepped down from the company as it held talks over a potential merger or takeover. Byworth was replaced by Chief Operating Officer Andrew Eldon on an interim basis, Eqonex said at the time.
- "The FCA did not have powers to assess the fitness and propriety of the new beneficial owners or the change in control before the transaction was completed," the agency said. It is unclear whether the FCA plans to take any further action.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.