Mark Zuckerberg Says NFTs Are Coming Soon to Instagram
The Meta CEO’s comments at South by Southwest confirmed earlier reports that Instagram was preparing to make such a move.
“We’re working on bringing NFTs to Instagram in the near term," Meta (FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg said at a panel at Austin’s South by Southwest Festival on Tuesday, according to a tweet from Engadget Senior Editor Karissa Bell. Zuckerberg added, however, that “I’m not ready to kind of announce exactly what that’s going to be today.”
- Casey Newton, writer of The Verge’s Platformer newsletter, tweeted that Zuckerberg also said that “hopefully” in the coming months, Instagram members will be able to mint their own non-fungible tokens (NFT) within the app.
- In January, the Financial Times reported that Meta was working on plans for both Facebook and Instagram members to be able to display NFTs on their profiles, citing sources familiar with the matter.
- Meta did not immediately respond to a request for more information on Tuesday.
- In October Facebook changed its name to Meta to reflect its focus on the metaverse and virtual reality.
- The company said in a presentation at the time that its metaverse would support NFTs.
Read more: Facebook’s Metaverse Will Support NFTs
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.