Nordic neobank Lunar raised $77 million at a $2 billion valuation and unveiled a crypto trading platform.
- Users are able to trade bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH), DOGE, ADA and DOT at the platform's launch.
- Lunar's aim is to make crypto trading "hassle-free" for Nordic customers, the firm said Thursday. Where users would currently have an account with a crypto exchange separate from their bank account, Lunar is looking to offer banking and crypto under one roof.
- The Aarhus, Denmark-based fintech already offers checking accounts, loans and borrowing services, investments in stocks and funds and business accounts for small and medium enterprises.
- The $77 million funding round is an extension of Lunar's $232 million Series D from July last year, which gave the company unicorn status.
- The firm last month unveiled actor Will Ferrell as an investor. Lunar also developed a promotional video featuring the Anchorman and Elf star.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.