Ukraine Receives Over $7M in Crypto Donations After Airdrop Announcement
It is currently unknown what the airdrop entails, although Ukraine’s tax office announced there will be no tax on captured Russian tanks.
Ukraine received over $7 million in crypto donations after the country announced an airdrop is inbound, according to on-chain data.
- Ukraine received $1.1 million in ether (ETH), $6 million in DOT and other cryptos, after the announcement on Wednesday. This would take the country's total crypto donations to over $40 million.
- Before the airdrop over $33 million in crypto had been donated to Ukraine’s war efforts.
- An airdrop involves sending free tokens as an incentive for an action. Usually project creators airdrop tokens as a way of building adoption.
- It’s not yet known what Ukraine's airdrop would entail. Ukraine has said that any Russian soldier who surrenders would get a payment of approximately $48,000, and crypto could play a role in this.
- Tax authorities in Ukraine have said that captured Russian equipment such as tanks do not need to be declared as taxable income as “combat trophies ... were acquired not as a result of the conclusion of any type of transaction.”
- However, for Ukraine tax residents an airdrop would likely be taxable income under current guidance. Tax authorities have not given a clear position on the tax liability of a non-fungible token (NFT) of a captured Russian tank.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.