The Ukraine government’s call for donations to resist the Russian invasion and provide aid to those affected has been embraced by the crypto community with nearly $20 million raised in ether and bitcoin.
- Earlier on Monday, the donation figure hit the $10 million mark, but a significant uptick in donations during the day drove the figure past $20 million, according to on-chain data reviewed by Elliptic.
- On Monday, Binance announced it would donate $10 million crypto to the effort and launched a crowdfunding portal to encourage its users to donate more.
- According to on-chain data, over $6 million has been received in the effort’s Ethereum wallet.
- That includes $1.1 million in tether and $109,000 in USDC.
- Data shows that Ukraine is holding the crypto in a ERC-20 wallet and hasn’t made a withdrawal.
- Ukraine’s Bitcoin wallet has received $4.2 million. The country has already withdrawn $2.9 million of that amount.
- Over the weekend, Russian art collective Pussy Riot helped form a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) that raised $3 million in ether for the war effort and humanitarian relief.
- A separate wallet for donations to the Ukraine army, run by the charity Come Back Alive, has raised $6 million since its inception in mid-2021.
UPDATE (Feb. 28, 13:01 UTC): Updates donation figure throughout, adds Binance's donation in second bullet.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.