Coinbase Ventures Lead Katherine Wu Leaves for VC Firm Archetype
Wu announced her departure on Twitter after just five months at Coinbase’s venture arm.
Katherine Wu, who served as Coinbase Global Inc.’s (COIN) senior deal lead of ventures, announced she has left the company to join early-stage crypto investment firm Archetype.
- “Today is my last day at Coinbase. Sometimes you take that leap of faith and it just doesn't land quite right- that's ok! Eternally grateful for the amazing people I've met & proud of the work I've done,” Wu said on Twitter.
- Wu said she will continue to invest and support “the best founders in the crypto ecosystem” but that she was “also excited to spend time exploring some side projects.”
- Wu joined Coinbase in September 2021. Her work history includes roles at pre-seed fund Notation Capital and crypto research and data platform Messari.
- Coinbase Ventures had a record investment year in 2021, having invested in just under 150 deals. The firm said those deals represented more than 90% of the funds the firm has deployed, on a cumulative basis, since its inception in 2018.
- Archetype was founded by Ash Egan, who previously co-founded ConsenSys Ventures. The Archetype portfolio includes DAO builder Syndicate and Meow, a company that connects corporate treasurers to crypto markets.
CORRECTION (Feb. 25, 21:29 UTC): Corrects Wu's tenure at Coinbase Ventures in deck and third bullet point.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.