UEFA, the governing body for European soccer, unveiled Socios.com as its first official fan token partner.
- The partnership, financial terms of which were not disclosed, will be in place until 2024, UEFA announced Tuesday.
- Socios, a fan engagement and rewards platform, will become the regional sponsor for the Champions League, EUFA's most prestigious competition, in the U.S.
- Socios is already a fan token provider for a large number of the elite clubs in Europe, including Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and FC Barcelona. It briefly had a sponsorship deal with the Argentine Football Association, which ended with a lawsuit in January, and also has agreements with U.S. teams in the National Hockey League, National Basketball Association and the National Football League.
- The clubs' tokens are listed on Socios' site for fans to purchase, giving them the chance to win VIP experiences. The deal with UEFA will see something similar offered for the top Europe-wide competitions such as the Champions League and the Europa League.
- Neither Socios.com nor EUFA had responded to requests for comment by publication time.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.