Crypto, Blockchain Investments in 2021 Exceeded Previous 3 Years Combined: KPMG
The accounting firm's biannual "Pulse of Fintech" report says investments in crypto and blockchain surged to $30 billion last year.
Investments in blockchain and cryptocurrency last year exceeded the total for the three previous years combined, according to a report by KPMG.
- The Big Four accounting firm's latest biannual "Pulse of Fintech" report finds that investment in crypto and blockchain surged to $30 billion in 2021.
- That compares with $8.2 billion in 2018, $5.6 billion in 2019 and $5.5 billion in 2020.
- Last year's total was reached across 1,332 deals, beating the previous record of 901 in 2018.
- KPMG highlights the different approaches to crypto from different jurisdictions, specifically with regard to China's ban on bitcoin mining and trading as well as the threat that India would follow suit. As a result, crypto interest plummeted in Asia while picking up significantly elsewhere.
- According to the report, there is "growing interest in the broad spectrum of blockchain opportunities, including the ability to use blockchains to support collaborative multi-jurisdictional activities – combining data, research and analysis related to a critical task into a single ledger for all."
Read more: 21 Predictions for Crypto and Beyond in 2022
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.