Shopify CEO Joins Coinbase Board of Directors
Tobias Lütke scaled Shopify from a niche online marketplace to a global e-commerce giant.
Tobias Lütke, CEO and founder of the e-commerce site Shopify, will join Coinbase’s board of directors subject to formal board approval later this week.
- Lütke will help Coinbase with its expansion plans as the crypto exchange targets newer products that appeal to crypto traders and investors internationally, Coinbase said in a note.
- “We hope to unlock crypto’s potential to increase economic freedom in the same way Shopify democratized online commerce,” Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong said in a press statement.
- Lütke was an early adopter of crypto through Shopify’s integration with Coinbase Commerce. It serves millions of merchants in more than 175 countries.
- “The concepts of decentralized finance and entrepreneurship exemplify the promise of Web 3 where opportunity exists for the many, not the few,” said Lütke in a statement. “Coinbase and Shopify share this like-minded vision, and I am excited to join the Board to support the future that Brian and the Coinbase team are building.”
- Lütke joins a board that includes Armstrong, Coinbase cofounder Fred Ehrsam, a16z founder Marc Andreessen and Kelly Kramer, the former CSO of Cisco.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.