Fidelity Seeks SEC Approval for Metaverse ETF
The financial services giant filed an application for an ETF that will track companies developing and selling products for the metaverse.
Fidelity Investments has filed an application for a metaverse exchange-traded fund (ETF), aiming to track public companies with exposure to the blockchain-based network of three-dimensional, virtual realities.
- The Fidelity Metaverse ETF will track the Fidelity Metaverse Index, which tracks “the performance of a global universe of companies that develop, manufacture, distribute or sell products or services related to establishing and enabling the metaverse,” according to the filing.
- Fidelity’s application is the latest among companies looking to address skyrocketing interest in the metaverse. In December, ProShares filed a metaverse ETF application with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- In June, Roundhill Investments launched a metaverse ETF that trades on the New York Stock Exchange. Four major South Korean asset management funds are also now listing metaverse-related exchange-traded funds, the first in the country.
- Geode Capital Management will be a sub-adviser for the Fidelity fund.
- On Thursday, the SEC refused to approve a Fidelity spot bitcoin ETF adding to the recent list of rejected applications.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.