Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin will receive back $100 million in USDC from the more than $1 billion in shiba inu (SHIB) he previously donated to the India-focused COVID-19 relief fund, CryptoRelief, the fund's founder Sandeep Nailwal and Buterin tweeted Friday.
- “We will move $100mn USDC back to Vitalik, a non-Indian, to do fast deployment in high risk/reward projects,” tweeted Nailwal, who is also the co-founder of Polygon.
- Last May, Buterin donated 50 trillion in SHIB tokens (worth about $1.2 billion at that time), which the creators of shiba inu sent him unsolicited, to the CryptoRelief fund. He burned the rest of the tokens.
- Buterin tweeted that he will use the $100 million “to complement CryptoRelief’s existing excellent work with some higher-risk higher-reward covid science and relief projects worldwide.”
- Nailwal hinted that the country’s crypto wariness figured in the decision to return the amount in stablecoin to Buterin.
- “Considering the fund's foreign origin and laws of India, Crypto Relief followed a systematic, controlled & robust approach in disbursing funds mandated to be utilized for India,” tweeted Nailwal. “But being an Indian citizen (NRI), I have to be extra cautious in any of the projects being donated to,” he added.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.