Blockchain Firm Valereum Acquires 90% of Gibraltar Stock Exchange
The company is looking to build an exchange that will link the fiat and crypto markets.
Blockchain firm Valereum is acquiring 90% of the Gibraltar Stock Exchange (GSX) Group in a move to build a fully regulated, integrated fiat and digital exchange, the firm announced Friday.
- Valereum announced in October that it was on track to acquire 80% of GSX, but has now increased its ownership to 90%. Financial terms of the acquisition weren't disclosed.
- The acquisition is subject to approval by the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission (GFSC), which regulates the financial services industry in Gibraltar.
- Once the acquisition is approved, Valereum said it plans to “establish the GSX as one of the world's first fully regulated, integrated fiat and digital exchanges.”
- "This simplifying of the acquisition structure is important for all parties and will lead to faster completion of the transaction” Valereum Chairman Richard Poulden said.
- Since 2019, the GSX has been allowing financial firms to list blockchain-based securities on its GSX Global Market platform and has regulatory permissions from GFSC to cover the use of blockchain or distributed ledger technology.
- “This will give listed instruments on the GSX access to a regulated pool of crypto capital that is not available anywhere else, and it will give crypto currency holders the ability to have a direct, verifiable holding in fiat securities,” Valereum said in a statement.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.