London-based venture capital (VC) firm Blossom Capital has raised a $432 million fund to invest in early-stage technology startups in Europe, including crypto.
- Blossom III would be the largest Series A fund in Europe, the firm said in a press release on Tuesday. The VC has earmarked one-third of the fund for crypto investment.
- Bloomberg had earlier reported on the new fund.
- Blossom Capital was founded in 2019 by managing partner Ophelia Brown and has raised a total of around $1 billion. The firm, which has a team of six, also added Alex Kim as managing partner recently.
- “We aren’t looking to just invest in crypto assets, we are also eyeing equity stakes in early-stage companies developing crypto infrastructure,” Brown said in the Bloomberg report.
- One of Blossom Capital's most notable investments in the crypto sphere is payments infrastructure company Moonpay. In November, Moonpay raised $555 million at a valuation of $3.4 billion.
- The round was led by Coatue and Tiger Global with participation from Blossom Capital, Paradigm, NEA and Thrive.
- The VC has also invested in video scaling platform api.video, automation firm Aurelia, and payments portal Checkout.com, according to its website.
UPDATE (Jan. 18, 09:09 UTC): Updates the sourcing throughout the story, adds further details from Blossom.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.