BitMEX CEO, CFO to Buy One of Germany's Oldest Banks
Bankhaus von der Heydt was formed in 1754 and became one of the first regulated institutions in Germany to offer digital asset services.
BXM Operations, a firm founded by the CEO and CFO of crypto trading platform BitMEX, plans to purchase Bankhaus von der Heydt, one of the oldest banks in Germany.
- The Munich-based bank's current owner, Dietrich von Boetticher, has signed a purchase agreement with BXM, BitMEX announced Tuesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- Bankhaus von der Heydt was formed in 1754 and has in recent years become one of the first regulated institutions in Germany to offer digital asset services.
- The German bank offers cryptocurrency trading and custody, the latter through technology provider and crypto unicorn Fireblocks.
- The planned purchase forms part of BitMEX's strategy to create a one-stop shop for regulated crypto products in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It follows the launch of BitMEX Link in Switzerland, a brokerage service offering featuring spot, structured products and over-the-counter trading.
- The transaction is subject to approval by BaFin, Germany's regulator for banking and financial services. Following completion, Bankhaus von der Heydt will continue to function as a standalone entity and BitMEX CEO Alexander Höptner and CFO Stephan Lutz will join the supervisory board.
- Bankhaus von der Heydt confirmed BitMEX's announcement when contacted by CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.