Simplify Files Application With SEC for Web 3 ETF
The Web 3 ETF would be actively managed by Simplify co-founders Paul Kim and David Berns.
Simplify Asset Management has filed an application with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for an exchange-traded fund (ETF) focused on Web 3.
- In a filing Wednesday, Simplify said the “Simplify Volt Web 3 ETF” would trade under the ticker symbol “WIII” and track Web 3 companies that are expected to benefit from technology infrastructure.
- The fund would not invest directly in cryptocurrencies but will allocate up to 10% of its total assets in the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust. Grayscale is a unit of Digital Currency Group, which is also the parent of CoinDesk.
- The ETF would be actively managed by Simplify Asset Management CEO and co-founder Paul Kim and Chief Investment Officer and co-founder David Berns.
- If approved, the actively managed ETF would be listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
- There has been growing interest in Web 3, which is the third generation of internet services that has been made possible by decentralized networks.
- Most recently, Block Inc. CEO Jack Dorsey publicly sparred with venture capitalists (VCs) over Web 3, stating in a tweet on Dec. 20 that VCs, not users, control Web 3, thus making it a “centralized entity with a different label.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.