Katie Haun Seeks $900M for Crypto Funds After A16z Departure: Report
Haun is aiming for $300 million for an early investment fund targeting crypto startups and $600 million for a fund focused on larger companies and digital tokens.
Katie Haun, soon to be a former partner at Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), is looking to raise $900 million for a pair of crypto investment funds following her departure from the venture capital firm, according to a report by the Financial Times.
- Haun is aiming for $300 million for an early investment fund targeting crypto startups and $600 million for a fund focused on larger companies and digital tokens, the newspaper reported on Friday, citing people briefed on her plans.
- Though much smaller than the $2.2 billion Haun helped a16z raise for the firm’s third crypto fund in June, $900 million would be a more than sizable debut for a new firm.
- Having announced her departure from a16z last month, Haun said she would be starting her own venture capital firm, which goes by the name “KRH.”
- She will be joined by a small group of a16z staffers, including crypto marketing head and Coinbase alum Rachael Horwitz.
- KRH has already participated in $300 million funding round into OpenSea, which gave the non-fungible token (NFT) marketplace a $13.3 billion valuation.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.